It's important to note that Opt-in emails are NOT the same as sending unsolicited email or spam. Opt-in email is "permission-based", which means that these individuals have given their permission to be contacted by email regarding specific topics that are of interest to them. For example, when people fill out a form online to request an email newsletter or register a product they have purchased, they can indicate that they would like to receive information on similar products or services. (Recipients may also "opt-out," that is, to ask that their names be removed from the mailing list.)
By law all opt-in or permission based email lists must be deployed by the list owner who has exclusive rights to a publication's email database. This also maintains the integrity of the database.
The whole design of your opt-in page should be simple, yet informative and should follow certain industry
Few marketing methods have the return rate of an Opt-in email campaign. It brings the visual artistry of the Web to your recipient’s inbox and is perhaps the most targeted marketing method in existence.
• must have all images full referenced (use absolute URLs, not relative)
• file size of all images and HTML code must be under 100K (50K is ideal)
• generally 600 pixels wide and 500 - 800 pixels in height displays optimally in most email applications
• we suggest limiting text to under 250 words and a single link to a landing page on your website that clearly
explains your offer
• since as many as 2/3rds of recipients use preview panes in Outlook or other applications, the top 2 inches of
creative should include your main offer copy/graphic
• .txt file without formatting (e.g. not a Word .doc)
• required for those who can't view HTML - approx 10% to 20%
• some lists require a FROM label, and this must be the legal name of the advertiser, and can not be a person's
name or a promotional label
• a reply email address will appear in the FROM line next to the FROM label and will be where replies will be sent
(again, this is not always required)
• keep this benefit oriented and avoid common spam keywords (under 70 characters in length is optimal)
Advertiser Mailing Address
• must appear in the body of text and HTML emails as per law
• must be advertiser's full mailing address - no PO Boxes allowed
Opt-out email reply address or a link to an unsubscribe function
• advertisers must maintain and regularly update (monthly at least) a list of unsubscribers (called a "suppression
file") to all email programs
• this suppression file must be provided to list owners a week prior to when the email program is deployed
Tips for an effective e-mail campaign
opt-out option. The final action you should expect from your recipient is for them to click right through to your website; the main source of information for you future customer. For ideas on how to create a successful email
After the design of your email message is created, it is forwarded to the list owner, who will check the email subject line and creative to ensure it is compliant with all legislation. This protects both you and the list owner.
The list owner then sends out a small ‘test’ mailing to you before deployment takes place so you can see exactly how your recipient will see it. Give it a good once over, check everything…make sure the layout works, that the pictures appear where they should, that all the links work, and most importantly make sure there are no spelling or grammatical mistakes. Once you are fully satisfied with the end product and have signed off with your approval, the email is sent to your target audience usually within 2 business days.
At the end of the campaign, the list owner delivers a series of reports showing the number of emails sent, how many recipients opened your message, and how many clicked through to your website.
such as providing an
tips for an effective e-mail campaign
Here is the list of words and phrases to avoid in both the subject line and the body of your email:
• Information you requested
• Important information regarding
• Guarantee, Guaranteed
• Special Promotion
• Great Offer/Deal
• Visit our website
• 50% Off, 20% Off, 40% Off, etc
• Click Here
• Call Now
• All New
• One time
• Order Now
• Save up to
• One time
Also, beware of using exclamation points, quotation marks, dollar signs, percentage signs and all capital letters (DON’T SCREAM AT YOUR RECIPIENTS!).
With access to over 70,000 lists, The List Wiz can provide e-mail contacts located in the USA, Canada or internationally. Whether you’re trying to contact
, The List Wiz can help you find the
opt-in e-mail list you’re looking for.
Barking Spider Services dba The List Wiz ~ toll-free 800 352 2282